Monday, November 3, 2008

You'd think they would at least ask permission!

So, yesterday morning, both DH and I noticed that there was something behind our house that didn't belong there. It was down by our ponds and looked at first glance like a giant rock, or maybe a large tree stump lying on it's side...

Upon closer inspection, we figured out that it was a hunter's blind, used by hunters to hide in while hunting (judging from where it was located, we think they are after ducks, turkeys, or geese). Are we crazy to expect that a hunter should ask permission before hunting on our private property? They aren't all that far from the house, so we're assuming they are bow hunting. Even so, I don't want them killing the birds that live on our property - I enjoy watching them.
DH wrote a note and put it in the blind, but no one seems to have been around in the last 24 hours and the blind is still there. The next time I'm out shopping I will be buying some No Trespassing/No Hunting signs to put up around our property!

DH worked hard this weekend filling the small areas near the front door with top soil. These areas will be planted with shrubs, flowers, etc. and mulched next Spring so we won't be planting grass in these areas...
Here is the other area. This one took quite a while to fill as parts of it were nearly 2' deep!
We still have some of the top soil left and will use it to even out the land near the garage so the bank won't be quite so steep there.

Baking for the election day bake sale continues. I've had such a nasty head cold that I haven't gotten as much made as I'd hoped. The caramel crunch, peanut butter balls, and banana bread are made. I will be making 2 apple pies and 2 pumpkin pies today, but will skip the almond apple braid and funfetti cookies that I had intended to make.

Remember to VOTE tomorrow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not just take the hunting blind?

Patti said...

It may come to that, but I think we need to try to resolve this with as little fuss as possible first.

Our guess is that this is probably someone who has been hunting here every year for years and they may have permission from the previous owner to hunt here. A year ago we hadn't even broken ground on the house yet, so they may not even know that someone else now owns the land.

If this blind turns out to be owned by one of our neighbors, I'd rather not make an enemy of them! :-D

Patti

Patti said...

Oh, and they probably have a gun and I don't.... :-D

Patti