Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Sewing studio cabinets

I finally made it back to Lowe's to get the cabinet gurus to correct the mistakes on the prior cabinet layout. Here is what the wall of cabinets in the sewing studio will look like. The wall is 14' wide in this section of the room.
The 5 upper cabinets are hinged on the top. The tall pantry cabinets have roll out trays (4 in each) which will hold my baskets of fat quarters, the cabinet to the right of the desk is a filing cabinet, and the cabinet to the left of the tall pantry cabinets has flat storage. I thought this would come in handy for scrapbooking supplies.






I ordered a 50 lb. box of white newsprint in 20x30" sheets today from Office Max so that I can start pre-packing things in our kitchen and in other areas of the house. We need to get some of the cabinets and closets cleared out before we put this house on the market (still a couple of months away, but there's a lot to do before then). I found some leftover paint in the basement that I will use to cover the bottom of the dining room wall where it is currently sponge painted. The paint still seems to be in good shape and usable. (I really hate painting!)

2 comments:

GAF said...

Hi Patti,
Gail from Pgh here. I think we are living parallel lives! We also are building (2.5 acres only!). Currently trying to finalize plans for my studio: sewing, CAD, crafts, etc. What kind of sewing machines do you have, use, how often. My room is only 18 x 14. Your 14' wall is exactly like one option I am pondering! My husband doen't think I should put the sink on one wall but that I should turn the corner for more sink room. Have you looked for a muti-level cutting table? I don't like the look of Horn, Koala, etc. but do like their functionallity. Contemplating having custom cabinets made with sewing lifts.

What's the rest of your room layout?

Hope to hear from you soon!
Go Penquins!

Patti said...

Hi Gail - I'm sorry I couldn't respond directly to your comment, but you didn't leave your email address and your blog profile isn't set to be public.

I have 2 Husqvarna Viking machines and do a lot of embroidery, as well as making purses and quilting. I also have a White serger, but it doesn't get used much these days. My current sewing room is 18x14, but it is in the basement with no natural light, so I don't like being down there.

I haven't looked at any of the brand name tables. My husband is probably going to make me a table for the machines and add a lift to the table. I think I'll also make the pressing table and cutting table, perhaps out of a sheet of melamine with bookcase supports.

I took the Studio Makeover (online) class at http://quiltuniversity.com when we decided to build the house. It was a great tool for deciding on a design for my room and for getting ideas for storage.

If you look on the right side of my blog, under Labels, and then click on Sewing Studio, you will see all the blog entries that refer to my studio. One of those entries has a photo of my layout. I'd also be happy to email it to you. Email me directly at: bells_r_us@yahoo.com and I will be able to reply directly to you...

Patti