Thursday, August 7, 2008

Can I just tell them all to go away?

What a day yesterday was! Every time I turned around the doorbell rang! We started out with the landscaper and his guys arriving with the backhoe to dig the pool hole a bit deeper. The pool guys also reappeared and stayed all day.

After the hole was dug deeper, the pool guys spread gravel on the bottom...
A trench was also dug off of one corner of the deep end of the pool and filled with gravel and dirt, as a drain for water that might be under the pool.
After the hole was prepared, the pool guys drove the pool up the driveway and between the trees and the end of the garage.
There is a 3' deep trench right near the right-side tires of this truck as he is driving through there. The pool guy who was guiding the driver thought the driver was going to cause the side of the trench to collapse and that the truck was going to end up falling into the trench - that would have been very, very bad. Thankfully, he made it safely through...
The sky started to darken while they were moving the pool to the back of the house. I was certain we were in for a storm...
Once the pool was around back (well, actually it's on the side of our house, not the back), the crane was attached and the pool was turned right-side up...


And there it is!
Now the sky is getting really dark - I'm afraid we're in for a downpour...
The rain held off and the pool was attached to the crane on both sides now...
And lifted into place... And then the rains came pouring down and we all ran for cover!
Five minutes later, the sky was clear again...
After many adjustments, the pool was finally in place!
While all that was happening with the pool, the kitchen backsplash people were here again to try to get the backsplash installed behind the sink - still no go. The right-hand end of the sink piece doesn't abut to the left-hand end of the cooktop backsplash and they aren't quite sure what to do about it. Our KD said he would get the general manager of the granite place involved and get them to resolve it. The granite guys were here all morning and into the early afternoon.

The glass people arrived to correct the door on our shower which was hinged on the wrong side. They were probably here for an hour in mid-afternoon.

I had package deliveries from UPS, FedEx, and the mailman. Someone showed up on a large truck with a delivery of wood. I decided it must be for the deck in the patio area and had to figure out where to have him dump it off his truck, as it couldn't go near the patio because of the pool install.

And then our dear neighbor dropped by on his lawn tractor for a chat. I saw him again last night after I walked down to the road to get our mail. He asked me if I wanted to go for a ride in his car around his golf course while he took his dog on orientation (which, I guess, gets the dog used to knowing where he can go on the property once he is let off his leash). He pointed out the different trees on the golf course and told me which ones are also on our property and that we shouldn't cut them down, or accidently mow over the plants that are there. Prior to our property becoming a golf course, it was a tree and plant nursery. I asked him if there were any hickory nut trees and he drove me over to see this huge hickory tree and said I was welcome to any hickory nuts that I wanted. Yum...

I was actually able to get the guest room in order while all these things were going on in and out of my house yesterday! It was the only room on the first floor that still needed to be arranged (except for DH's office, which he gets to arrange) and with all the people ringing the doorbell I didn't want to be upstairs. I did run up to do a couple of loads of laundry, however, and I really love my new washer and dryer. They are both high efficiency and they hold huge loads of clothes. The dryer keeps turning on for a few seconds every couple of minutes to keep clothes from getting wrinkled in case you can't get to the dryer right away to remove them.

And before the night ended, DH had to play with the Bobcat before it goes back to the rental company...
Today, the landscaping guys are working on the patio area. I think (I hope) that is all that is going on, other than the bobcat getting picked up by the rental company. I need a vacation!

No comments: