Monday, August 4, 2008

The delivery men cometh!

I thought I would give a quick update on things while I wait for the delivery of the PODS unit. I always get a phone call before delivery people arrive, because even with directions they can never find us! Here is the PODS delivery truck backing up the driveway, after 2 calls to find out how to find us. The POD is full of things that we packed up before we put our old house on the market. There is extra furniture that we could do without until after the move - DD's desk and a bookcase from the guestroom, etc. - and her Irish dance floor, boxes full of things from the kitchen and dining room that we wouldn't be using until after the move, and lots of stuff from the basement. I'm hoping to be able to sort through some of it and send some things to our church rummage sale this week.
Hmmmm...seems they loaded the POD onto the truck in the wrong direction - the door will face the house and we wanted it to face away from the house.
There wasn't room in the concrete area of the driveway for the delivery man to turn the POD around, but he managed to do it on the gravel part of the driveway and the dirt off to the side...
Ahhhh, that looks better!
Safe and sound, and ready to be unloaded!
Earlier this morning, the Lowes guys arrived to deliver the washer and dryer. They were awesome! Very friendly, very careful, very thorough...they even asked if I wanted them to switch the opening on the dryer door so it would hinge on the left instead of the right, which is great for the setup we have. It was a bit of a tight squeeze to get the washer in there, with the door right beside it and 2 delivery guys trying to finagle it into place.
The Lowes delivery men didn't ask for directions to the house. When I commented on it, the one guy said that he had already made a bunch of deliveries out to our house during construction, so when he saw the address he knew exactly where he was going. I was amazed!

Some of the rooms are coming together. The music room is pretty much set up, except for the tall bookcase that needs to be carried down to the basement sometime.

Here is the other side of the music room. The long tables along the window wall are my handbell tables.
This is the family room. I finally emptied all the boxes from the family room and kitchen, but I'm sure once DS starts unloading the POD I'll get a bunch of new boxes to unload.
I found a treasure today! There are 2 areas near the front door that haven't yet been filled with top soil. There are broken bricks and other trash there that will probably be buried under the top soil. In the pile near the back...
look what I found! I saved a whole box full of various shades of blue glass tile and some dark tile that I think is slate. I don't know where they came from, or why they are there as we have nothing like them in our house. My only guess is that the tile guy tore them out of someone else's house (they have drywall stuck to the back of them, which I hope I can scrape or soak off) and he was looking for a place to dump them. I figured I could probably make a tile-topped table or a serving tray out of them...
OK, the POD is delivered now. I'm going to grab some lunch and run out to the store. I keep having to ask DD to stop somewhere and buy milk, as I haven't had a chance to get to the store since we moved. My list is a mile long! Even DS commented on how long it was, and he usually doesn't notice things like that.

It looks like we also had a delivery of stone for the pool. I don't know when they snuck in and unloaded, but I just looked out the kitchen window and saw the pile of stone in the field near the side yard.

Tomorrow looks like a fairly calm day (the kitchen cabinet guy may put in an appearance), but Wednesday we have delivery of the dining table and chairs scheduled, the pool installation, and the delivery of the backhoe that attaches to our tractor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a house! It must be pretty exciting to watch a piece of empty land morph into a lifetime of future memories.

Patti said...

Hi pods man - It has been exciting! We're very thankful to now be in our house. It feels like we've lived here a lot longer than a month and a half already!

Thanks for visiting!
Patti