Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The moving men cometh...

The moving men arrived bright and early yesterday morning. Seven guys and two trucks, with an estimate that it would take 11 hours for them to load the trucks, drive them to our new house, and then unload them. As they wandered through the house looking at what was to be loaded, they were all joking that "it will be an easy day", "there's no way this is an 11 hour job", "we'll be done and out of here in a few hours" - and they were serious when they were saying all of those things. Well, 11 hours later (almost to the minute), they finished unloading the truck! I guess the estimator did a much better job of figuring out the time than they imagined he did! Here are the trucks being loaded...

DH stayed at the house while the guys loaded the truck and DS, DD, and I headed over to the new house to get the van unloaded and to try to get the kitchen boxes that we moved on Monday unpacked. We also took all the cold and frozen foods over. DS and DD finished unloading the van and got in a couple of games of chess while I worked in the kitchen. (Oh, and that cute little round table that we put together so they could play on it? I pushed it closer to the fireplace when the moving van arrived so it would be out of the way, and in the process I scratched the floor - oops! I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. DD was glad that I made the scratch, instead of her.)
So, DD figured out how to turn on the cooktop and she made mac and cheese for our lunch. Later, she figured out how to turn on the oven and she made chocolate chip cookies for the movers (and us!).

Here comes my piano off the truck - it was very scary to hear DH say, "Watch out! The leg is buckling!". I should have stayed in the house while they took it off the truck! All is well now, but "egads!" that was scary! (Another little side note...at the end of the day, one of the movers called me over to the music room and asked if he could play something on the piano. He played a wonderful piece and said that he is here from Jamaica on a work/study program to earn money to continue his education. He is a piano major there and hadn't been able to play for a long time.)

Last night was the first time we had a chance to see the puck lights behind the valance lit up at night - it was a very cool effect. (I'm not sure what that moon-like thing is on the wall.)
So, the one bad thing about the new house is that the gas line was never hooked up. We really don't care that we don't have heat at this time of year, but we would really love to have the hot water working! DD, DH, and I headed over to the old house this morning to do some cleaning (while DS stayed here with the kitchen guys and the granite guys) and she took her towel and supplies with her so she could take a hot shower while we were there! I attempted to take a bath in my air tub this afternoon, hoping that the heater on the tub would take the worst of the chill off the water, but it didn't work. It did, however, wake me up! Brrrrrrr! The builder told DH that the gas will be hooked up on Friday.

So, our old house (where we lived for 11 years) is clean and we will close on it tomorrow. It looks very sad now that it's empty...this is DH's office...
And this is the family room...

I didn't think I would get emotional leaving the house, but I didn't sleep well last night and was exhausted and achy from the move and from cleaning our old house all morning. I think all those things just set me off and I bawled most of the way home! I feel much better now! LOL! Sometimes all it takes is a good cry to make things all right!

So, the granite fabricators were here to install the granite backsplash in the kitchen. They got most of it in...the pieces behind the sink were too thin, or something, and were crumbling. So, they will be back out another day to install behind the sink.

The kitchen guys were here to work on the cooktop vent and to do some other odds and ends. They have to come back another day also, as they still aren't done.

No comments: